General Supervisor, Project Management
Is project management of facility design and construction projects your calling? Bring your leadership expertise to the City of Edmonton as a General Supervisor, Project Management
Reporting to the Director of Facility Infrastructure Delivery, this position supports the City’s Strategic Plan through what we build. With a focus on client satisfaction the General Supervisor provides supervision, leadership, guidance, and oversight to a team of Program Managers and Project Managers to ensure that sound project management skills are used during project delivery and is accountable for creating and aligning the human, social, and technical systems required to carry out the work of the Section.
The Role of a Supervisor within the Integrated Infrastructure Services is underpinned by two core assumptions:
- The first obligation of a Supervisor is to the strategy, priorities and direction of the Section. Through this shared accountability, Supervisors must plan, organize, lead and execute the work of a specific Unit in alignment with the overall Section and Branch direction. The second order of obligation is to the Unit.
- This implies a Supervisor role that is focused on creating the conditions for success for the Section and Unit, which includes work with citizens and industry leaders, Directors and the network of Supervisors and other staff from within IIS and across the City
- The Supervisor is a member of the Integrated Infrastructure Services Extended Leadership Team that operates with collective leadership accountability.
- This implies (1) understanding of the branch, department and corporate strategy and (2) creating and aligning both the human/social and technical/ operational systems to carry out the work of the Section/Unit.
Your technical background, training, experience, and leadership skills will allow you to succeed with a multitude of complex projects underway. Other key responsibilities for of a General Supervisor are:
- In alignment with corporate, departmental and branch strategies, actively participate in the development of strategies for the section and translate this direction into unit level implementation required to achieve the section vision and priorities. Bridge between strategy and implementation; translate strategy into operational plans
- Design, implementation, and continuous improvement of section level processes and practices to deliver the business of the section
- Coaching, mentoring and facilitating the development of high performance teams; managing human resources and providing clarity of staff work assignments
- Assuring the effectiveness of unit systems through comprehensive, accurate and
- transparent reporting and performance management (i.e. key performance indicators)
- Ensuring the prudent and effective use of financial resources in the planning and delivery of the branch, section and unit’s work
- Supporting the Director, and creating, leveraging and maintaining relationships necessary to advance the Branch, Section and Unit strategy including those with the Leadership Team, citizens, Council, business partners, industry partners, program/ project managers and staff
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Masters in Architecture, Diploma in Architectural Design, Building Construction Technology or Engineering Technology Professional Engineer registered with the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of Alberta (APEGA), Professional Architect registered with Alberta Association of Architects, Certified Engineering or Architectural Technologist registered with the relevant provincial authority. Completion of a Project Management Professional Certificate is considered an asset
- Ten (10) years of experience with a Bachelor's or Master's Degree, and fifteen (15) years of experience with a Diploma Certificate, including at least five (5) years at a management supervisory level
- A combination and balance of education in related field of study and experience may be considered
- Ability to communicate and connect with a wide range of audiences
- Ability to cultivate productive working relationships with government, industry and business partners
- Can anticipate and manage inquiries from upper management, citizens and Council Conflict resolution, negotiation and issues management
- Ability to build organizational talent (coach, teach and attract new talent into the organization). Foster great teamwork, develop teams
- Technical expertise to manage day-to-day operations with an increasing ability to think strategically
- Entrepreneurship/Innovation – ensure growth or improvement of the core business is consistent with the Strategic Framework/corporate direction
- Political awareness (ability to understand the political /strategic environment)
- Blend of leadership, management and technical attributes
- Broad understanding and knowledge of the municipal environment
- Negotiation skills relative to resolving issues and conflicts
- Knowledge of design principles related to facility architecture, engineering, and construction
- Understanding of financial management principles including; budgeting, cost estimating, and variance reporting
- Ability to analyze complex technical information and make timely decisions
- Previous experience collaborating with consultants and contractors
We are an equal opportunity employer.
We welcome diversity and encourage applications from all qualified individuals.
Hours of Work: 36.9 hours per week, Monday - Friday
Salary: $110,090 - $137,619 (Annually)
Recruitment Consultant: JM/IS
Classification Title : General Supervisor
: Nov 24, 2017
: Dec 17, 2017 11:59:00 PM (MST)
: 1 - Permanent Full-time
Union : Management
: Facilities Infrastructure Delivery (Integrated Infrastructure Services)
13th Floor Edmonton Tower, 10111 104 Avenue
Edmonton T5J 0J4